Butterflies Are Free To Fly

So it turns out that butterfly bushes really do attract butterflies. Who knew?

Lucky for me they do, because it gave me a chance to try out the telephoto zoom lens for the first time.

Brown Butterfly

Yellow Butterfly

Landing Butterfly

Dangling Butterfly



First Day Out With The New Camera

Finally got to take my new Nikon D5100 out to the county botanical garden and start playing around with it. I love the camera but I’ve realized I have so much left to learn about it. I can’t wait! Based on the captions I have a lot to learn about flowers too.

The Pond

The Pond filled with Lily Pads

Close Up of Lily Pads

Lilly Pads

Red Flower

A Red Flower

Funky Flowers

Funky Flowers

The Garden Path

The Garden Path

Purple Flowers

Purple Flowers

From Functional to Fabulous

I picked up these inexpensive plastic drawers at a big box store. They are super functional, but NOT super attractive, which is a problem since I intended to leave them out on the bathroom counter. I’m also not wild about being able to see my make up through the clear plastic drawers. And, yes, all the drawers are filled with makeup. What can I say…It takes a village.

Make-Up Storage Pre-Transformation

My first 2 attempts at jazzing up the plastic drawers went horribly wrong. My first thought was to simply line the front of the transparent drawers with left over craft paper. The problem was the front of the drawer curved in a way that made it challenging to get the paper to line up just right. I’m a bit of a perfectionist so I got frustrated and gave up on this approach. My second thought was to spray paint the black container brown to better coordinate with the bathroom. Painting plastic can be a challenge and despite using a plastic primer it turned into a hot mess. It was so ugly I didn’t want to take a picture of it. Luckily the plastic drawers aren’t too expensive because I was back at the store buying another set that afternoon.

My third, and final idea, was to stencil the black plastic with a pattern and color that coordinated with a previous bathroom project I had done (HERE).  I used a stencil and craft paint from the earlier project and applied the stencil to the top and sides of both containers. This seemed to work much better.


Next I had to figure out what to do about the transparent drawers. I used the same craft paint I used for the stencil to hand paint the interior front of the drawers. It took a good 3 to 4 coats to get decent coverage that didn’t look terribly streaky when viewed from the front of the drawer.

Painting the inside of the drawers

After everything dried I used some nail polish remover on a Q-Tip to clean up the stray paint on the bottom of the drawer. Taping the drawer before painting it would’ve prevented having to clean up the messy paint, but sometimes I just like to wing it. The handles were popped back on the drawers and the drawers were put back in to reveal the the finished product.

Re-Assembled Make-Up Storage

Both sets of drawers, stacked back in the bathroom and all filled up. From Functional to Fabulous!

The Completed Project

Bathroom Counter Storage

I don’t like clutter and am always looking for clever storage ideas. I had seen a post on Pinterest about using a plate stand to create additional storage on the bathroom counter. If you don’t already know about Pinterest, it is a crafter’s Nirvana. I didn’t want to spend money on a plate stand and decided to try and replicate the idea using items from the dollar and/or craft store.

I picked up 2 stove top burner covers from the dollar store. As ‘lovely’ as the 2 different fruit patterns were, it didn’t matter that they didn’t match because they were never going to see the light of day after they were covered with spray paint. I used left over spray paint from a prior project that coordinated with the colors in my master bathroom.

Burner Covers and Spray Paint

Once the spray paint dried it was time to apply stencils to the painted burner covers. I picked up new stencils and stencil paint at the craft store but easily could’ve used ones I already had on hand from prior projects.

Stenciling the Burner Covers

The left over spray paint was also used to cover a metal candlestick holder I found in the clearance section of the local craft store. Here are the 3 fully painted pieces prior to assembly.

Painted Pieces Pre-Assembly

Then it was time to put it all together. I used epoxy to adhere the burner covers and candlestick holder together and used 2 heavy cookbooks to apply pressure as the piece dried.  Anyone who knows me is aware that this is the most use these cookbooks have gotten in years.

Counter Stand Drying During Assembly

I let it dry overnight and flipped it over to reveal the completed stand. So pretty!

Completed Counter Stand

The stand now located on the counter and is filled up with some of the stuff we ladies like to keep easily accessible in the master bathroom. I think I could easily apply the same steps to make a cool occasion specific stand to hold cupcakes or hors d’oeuvres…if only I cooked.

Counter Stand in Use