When my friend recently had a baby I decided that I wanted to paint my childhood rocking chair to give to her baby daughter for Christmas. This was my first attempt at using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (ASCP) on something other than a picture frame.
Original Rocking Chair
I started by painting the entire chair in ASCP Versailles, one of my favorite colors. Julia’s nursery bedding has a paisley design and I knew I was not a good enough painter to free hand that, so I used a Martha Stewart paisley stencil. The accents were added using ASCP in Emile and Old White.
Paisley Detail on Seat
Paisley Detail on Back
After the painting was completed it was time for the waxing, sanding and distressing. I have to admit I still struggle with the waxing. I never get the piece to the level of smoothness that I would like. I am hoping this will come with practice. For this piece I used the ASCP clear wax and added minimal distressing. After forty years this chair has a new life in the nursery of another little girl.
Note: I apologize for the less than amazing photos of this project. I was running out of time and the time to take photos of the project is what suffered. No matter how much planning you do the holidays always manage to sneak up faster than expected.
I recently got certified as a Pilates Mat teacher. After all that hard work I wanted to frame the certificate I received, so it was time for another craft project. All of the unused frames I had on hand were oak or painted white, neither which would work in my office. A quick look through my craft cabinet revealed a sample size of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite and I knew I’d be able to turn the oak frame into something that worked. What I love about the ASCP paint is you don’t have to pre-sand the wood before painting, you just go right over whatever finish is already on the piece. I painted the frame with the ASCP and after it dried used Annie Sloan Clear Wax on top of it.
Frame painted in ASCP Graphite
I wanted to give the frame a slightly distressed look so I got out some fine grit sandpaper to rough up the edges of the frame. Here is where I got a small surprise. It turns out the oak frames weren’t actually oak but were some sort of composite material that looked like oak. What this meant was when I was sanding the paint almost peeled or chipped off which wasn’t what I was expecting. At first I was annoyed but then realized I actually liked how the distressing was turning out, so I went with it. Yes, sometimes the best things in life are a surprise!
Painted and Distressed Frame
Close Up of the Frame
I put a little more wax on just to give the piece a final buffing and popped the certificate in the frame and voila…it was done.
Ready to Hang